Searching for things to do with all those tomatoes? Here are a couple ideas. More to come later this week, too.
Tomato, Watermelon, Jicama Salad:
- 1 cup of cubed jicama
- 1 cup of cubed watermelon
- 1 cup of halved or quartered cherry tomatoes
- pumpkin seeds (added after this photo was taken)
- loosely torn fresh mint
- loosely torn purple basil
- about 1 tbls. balsamic vinegar
- about 2 tbls. cold pressed olive oil
- Mix all ingredients except for oil and vinegar together in a bowl
- Toss with oil and balsamic and enjoy.
- 1 ½ pounds good ripe tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated or mincedginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 habaneros, stemmed, seeded and minced, or red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste (the sweet/spicy thing really works in this jam, so I’d say go for it unless you really hate spicy).
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use; this will keep at least a week. Also, for those of you lucky enough to have cheese shares (I normally don’t but was gifted this week’s) it goes PERFECTLY together.