Cucumber Noodles with Vegan Basil Cream Sauce, Tomatoes and Pine Nuts
Basil Vegan Cream Sauce:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked until soft (a few hours or overnight)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white miso
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves, coarsly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3-4 cucumbers
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup basil vegan cream sauce
- Fresh ground pepper
- Blend cashews, water, lemon juice, and miso until smooth.
- Add chopped garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Blend on lowest speed to incorporate. You should still see the chopped basil leaves.
- Spiralize the cucumber noodles.
- Pat the noodles dry with paper towels.
- Stir in the sauce, tomatoes and pine nuts.
- Top with fresh ground pepper.
That’s all there is to it. So, so good.
Mark Bittman’s Asian Cucumber Soup
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice-wine or white-wine vinegar
- 1 small chili, stemmed, seeded and minced, or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne,or to taste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 cups chicken stock, chilled (I used my stock from meat share, so good!)
- ½ cup minced scallions OR added value spring onions, both white and green parts
- 1 cup chopped watercress or arugula (optional)
- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro, mint,Thai basil or a combination.
- Peel cucumbers, then cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Slice cucumbers as thinly as possible (a mandoline is ideal for this). Mix them in a large bowl with soy sauce, vinegar, chili and sugar, then refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Add stock, scallions, watercress or arugula if you like, and stir. Taste, and adjust seasoning. Just before serving, garnish with herb or herbs of your choice.
Asian Style Cucumber Salad:
- 2 large thin-skinned cucumbers(about 1 1/2 pounds), sliced thin
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Shoyu or Tamari
- 1 teaspoon agave or raw honey
- 1 small garlic clove, minced or pureed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne (more to taste)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light green parts, sliced very thin
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Sprinkle the cucumbers with a generous amount of salt and let sit in a colander in the sink for 15 minutes. Rinse and dry on a kitchen towel. Transfer to a salad bowl.
- Whisk together the vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, cayenne, and pepper. Whisk in the sesame oil. Toss with the cucumbers, scallions, and cilantro. Chill until ready to serve.